Tuesday, September 30, 2014

I WANT TO START WRITING AGAIN

I want to start writing again. I feel I have the ability to be a good writer. I have continued to procrastinate the issue of resuming my writing for years. Procrastination is evil. I have made excuses. Genuine and flimsy. The nature of my job hasn't given me the freedom to read, and write. I believe reading and writing goes hand in hand. My reading habit has plummeted and as such I'm not surprised that i have found writing tedious.

Thanks to Jeff Goins,  I have taken up a challenge to write everyday for the next 31 days. Considering I have consciously written, say 5 times in the last 3 years makes it a really tall order. 


Challenges drive me however. Goals inspire me. Having some form of physical, mental or emotional rewards in sight fuels my desire. 

I like satire. Unfortunately I take life too seriously to write satire. One of my favourite writers is Steve Nwosu. I enjoy write-ups on this blog a lot. I would like to write like these people for a start. 

For the next 31 days I will be writing on any topic. Based on my interests my write-ups will vary between music, politics, sports, technology. Maybe a little lifestyle if I get into the groove (or I genuinely run out of topics). 

I think I write best when under pressure to deliver or when deadlines approach. I recall my concession speech after I lost the presidential elections of my department. I wrote it in under 15 minutes and it was so well written that my opponents swore I had written it even before the results were out. 

Jeff is about to change all that though. He recommends you have a set time and place where you write regularly. He says over time it becomes a habit. I believe him. I will settle for a time as the 31 days roll along. As for place, I'm not so sure. I am writing this on my Evernote app while making purchases in the market. 

Twitter has exposed me to a lot of sound writers. The intellect on twitter keeps me constantly marvelled. I silently respect some tweeps and look forward to their posts. I also randomly stumble on articles and admire the work put in.

I believe I would get there, with constant practice. 

Jeff expects us to write a minimum of 500 words per day. I think I can conveniently achieve that. It's the consistency I'm a little worried about. I will give it my best shot though.
He says we should not edit too. Just write. I am trying to follow the rules religiously even though I am already tempted to make some structural changes to this piece.

I am currently taking this challenge with Abisola Jegede. She blogs here. You should take a look at her very first piece. Can you guess who she is talking about?

You can sign up too if you are interested. We can share our blog posts with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment